Friday, December 18, 2009

Old School

That's how I felt today making popcorn!!!!! No, not with an air popper...or the micro, cuz that'd be NEW school...I'm talking OLD school!!!!

In a pot.

On the stove.

Shaking the pot at the first sound of a pop!

And waiting til its done popping before taking the lid off...if you don't wait, it'll shoot popcorn at you! hee hee

I got this recipe from a dear old friend (she's not old, the friendship is!) on Facebook who made it and bragged about it. So I asked for the recipe! It sounded SO simple I just had to make it!!! But I don't have an air popper and I didn't have plain unbuttered/unsalted microwave popcorn....so I bought plain kernels today when I was out shopping and looked up online how to make it on the stove. That in itself was a chore! Its amazing how if you forget two simple words, you end up with a bunch of stuff in the search engine that have NOTHING to do with what you're after!

I digress....I didn't have the full 2 cups of brown sugar (its on the list for Albertsons tomorrow) so I halved the recipe and it turned out just fine! And really was less to deal with at one time! The hardest part about making it...stirring it for 5 minutes!!!! When you're waiting for something fun to happen 5 minutes flies by...but when you're standing in one spot stirring the pot...oh it takes forever! lol

Again....I digress!!!! I am very pleased with how it turned out! And keep thinking I want to add some peanuts to the mix and make it like cracker jacks....but this stuff doesn't come out shiny like theirs is...its more matte looking. But it just melts in your mouth!!!!! Oh its soooooooo good!!!!! And pure evil!!!! But soooooo good!!!!

Want the recipe??


6 Quarts popped corn (about 1 cup unpopped) put in large roasting pan

Preheat oven to 250 degree F.

In medium saucepan melt 1 cup butter
Stir in 2 cups (packed) brown sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1 tsp. salt

Bring to boil stirring constantly
Boil 5 min, stirring all the time
Remove from heat
Add 1/2 tsp baking soda and 1 tsp. vanilla
Pour over popcorn, stirring well
bake in oven one hour, stirring every 15 minutes.

It is easier stirring if you put some butter on the spoon, as the mix tends to stick.

Dump out onto waxed paper in a single layer to cool.


Sounds easy doesn't it?? You'll be thanking me later!!! let me know if you make it!!

Today was grocery day....and the parking lot at Costco was NUTZ!!!!!!!!! I had to park at the opposite side of the building as the entrance was! But y'know, it wasn't raining, and the kids were in a good mood!! So off we went! Now, I had 8 things on my list...and I think it took me longer to check out than it did to grab my stuff! But that's to be expected the last Friday before Christmas!!

Then we hit up Freddy's and DJ had an absolute blast in Playland!! I wasn't expecting to take that long shopping, but I had some of those items you don't always get every time you go shopping, and was unfamiliar with their placement...I found 'em tho! Just took longer! Which, according to the gal at Playland, DJ didn't seem to mind one bit...in fact, he was crushing on a little girl named Brianna...and she was flirting back. Mara said it was pretty cute! *shakes head* He's gonna be a handful come puberty!

Samantha fell asleep, soundly, on the way home so I left her in the truck and unloaded it....I brought out a cell phone to do a two call with my phone and when I plugged it in on the phone charger it beeped and woke her up! Bah!!! So, she got a less than an hour nap today! But surprisingly was fantastic all afternoon!! Could be because DJ was absent...again! He had gone out to play and then in to play next door....they may as well adopt him now! LOL

Howie's on vacation starting tonite!!!!! A whole week with him home AND Christmas!!! Can't beat that! I just hope this balmy weather sticks around! The heater hasn't kicked in in two days!! I love it!!!! I'm reading all about how the east coast is getting slammed and it was sunny here today! Sweet! I hope I haven't jinxed it now! A little snow on Christmas eve would be good and then have it melt away on Boxing day...perfect!!!!

I watched the 12 Men of Christmas last nite...it was okay....good to knit to! Tonite I have three to choose from....*sigh*

Til next time...ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks SO much for dropping a line!