Wednesday, November 18, 2009

This house

Has its quirks and flaws...we're discovering them as we go. Can you believe one month ago today we started sleeping here!?!?!?! Time has FLOWN by!!!! And in that month there are a few minor things that I don't like about the house...so minor really!

For one, the guy who laid the carpet in this house was L-A-Z-Y!!!!!! He didn't bother sweeping the floor up before laying it down. I know this when I walk barefoot and happen to catch every single impurity under the carpet. Drives me nuts actually!!! How hard is it to use a shop vac to pick up little things that are going to annoy an owner!?!?!? lol

I may only be a plumber's daughter....but damn he was a perfectionist when it came to his work!!!

OK, gripe number two....the layout of the switches at the top of the stairs...there are 4 on/off switches for 4 different things and we seem to never get them right! Now, this could be human error, but logic would dictate that they should be a different arrangement.

#3 the microwave, located above the stove, is in a DUMB spot!!! While I do like it off the counter, above the stove it should not be!!! When I have a stuff cooking up there...just about every day!....the condensation of whatever is cooking collects on the microwave door...and it doesn't matter if the fan is on or not! I guess to that end, I'll always have a clean looking microwave on the outside! :)

Numero 4....The living room is set up for the TV to ONLY be in one spot...above the fire place! There really isn't another wall for it to go on....and you can't have the fire place on for very long...sucky!

5 would be the same gripe as my neighbour's husband...that the dining area doesn't have a window! Which, in my case, means that I don't have direct visual of the road or my driveway from anywhere in my house. A window would go perfectly there too! Just saying...

Next would be the placement of the light switch for our walk in closet...while one would dictate that the outside of the door would be the ideal place for a switch...it really isn't! You see, Howie goes to work in the dark....and with our lovely curtains, its even darker in our room than it is outside! So, when he has to go in the closet to get his work clothes, he has to go all the way in, close the door as much as it will with his hand poking out, flip the switch and quickly close the door. Grab what he wants, carefully open the door with his hands full, sneak a hand out to flip the switch off, and exit the closet. Thankfully I have a rather handy husband that knows all about electricity and can switch the switch (that sounds funny!) to the inside! Thus, solving the problem!

Seventh would be the placement of our toilet, more so than the placement of the kids' bathroom toilet....if one is claustrophobic, our toilet is one that they shouldn't use!!! Wedged in between the tub and sink vanity, there's not much wiggle room! And when reaching around yourself to grab toilet paper, you realize "WOW, that's a reach!" Unfortunately, there's NO where else for it to go!

Lastly would be the doors....they had a little too much wiggle room! And closing them made noise! You see, I'm a kid checker! I absolutely must check on the kids before I go to bed....and when I close their doors it would hit the wood of the door jamb and make a bit of noise. I've actually woken Samantha a few nites doing this. After pondering on this for 3 weeks, I did come up with a cheap solution! I put felt tabs on the door jamb so when the door hits it, its more like a very dull thud, not wood hitting wood. This cheap solution also fixed the problem of the cats pushing at our door in the opposite direction than the tabs helped wanting in....I put them IN the groove of the door jamb where the handle connects...and they can't push on it anymore!!!! See...I AM smart!!!

That's all I can think of at the moment!!! Not too bad a list eh?? Its only been a month....check back with me next year when we've had all 4 seasons under our belts!!

Til next time...ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks SO much for dropping a line!