Tuesday, November 17, 2009

I'm not sure I like

The "new to us" library. Oh, the building itself is great...the layout is okay...but the story time is just not up to par in my eyes. We'd done story time at the Mukilteo library for well over 2 years, so we got used to how things run, the same gal (Kathleen) has been doing baby story time for years....she didn't care if the kids were running around because they were still hearing books if not looking at them. She didn't mind if the kids came up to her while she was reading to look closer at the books. Always had a smile and a hug for each kid! She didn't mind when my two would "help" her bring the toys out of the storage room for play time. She expected every parent to join in the songs/rhymes and had them ready for us to read if we didn't know them. She is just awesome!!!

Today was our second time at the Monroe library and we had a different person doing it....and she didn't like that Samantha wouldn't sit (can you believe DJ actually sat the whole time!??!) during story time...or that Sam wouldn't give the bells back...she (who remains nameless because I didn't hear her introduce herself, nor did she come up to me after to get to know me) did NOT like when Samantha squealed her heard out (OK, screeched is more like it) when DJ took something from her. And then there are the other parents who during play time, just stood 4 feet from their child not making eye contact with anyone else, or talking to anyone else, but monitoring their own child (like mine might come over and clobber their kid or something...) or even playing with their kid to ensure their toys wouldn't be taken away. Its just not friendly! And for that I'm very sad! DJ and Sam weren't the only ones who looked forward to story time...I used to love it too!

And at the end of craft time, we headed out into the real library to get some new books...one on hold for me (I finally have something other than PEOPLE to read!!!) and new ones for DJ to read, and we got two for SamSam all about ducks! Checking out was miserable as Samantha would NOT stay near me at all...and holding/carrying her is not really an option. I even had a staff member ask me "is this yours?" as she came running back to me. OY!! There's a different baby story time at the Sultan library on Thursday, we may go check it out....but at this point, I'm not hopeful!

After the library we came home, I did want to stop at this mail place to get stamps, I have something I want to mail my mom before they leave for the south...but as soon as I pulled in, DJ announced he had to pee....so we went home instead....where he didn't have to pee. Go figure! We did lunch and then Sam took a nap. DJ got all dressed to go outside to play and it started RAINING!!! Not the kind of Northwest drizzle that's okay to play in, this was RAIN! So he came home, and I message their mom to invite one or both boys over to play. As it turns out, Kristopher came over first and when David showed up, he went home saying he was tired! LOL And apparently he was just as worn out last nite as DJ was from playing all day!!!

David went home as Howie came in the door, so the noise level went up! They get SO excited to see him walk in the door!!!! I do too as it means dinner is soon approaching and with it comes bed time! :D

Just as I was serving up the plates, my mom called! So we chatted for 10 seconds and I told her to call back....she did!!!!! It was good to chat with her but she sounds tired!!! More than ready for a rest I'm sure! It was still good to just hear her voice! And we have a plan in place for Christmas Day, so I feel better about it now!

Everyone's in bed, so I'm going to get under my snuggie and watch TV...I'm in between knitting projects, which means I have yarn, but not sure yet what to do....it'll hit me soon enough!


Til next time...ciao!

2 comments:

  1. Expecting a child Sam's age to sit for the entire storytime, or not want to hold onto an item, is not developmentally appropriate. It's BABY storytime for a reason, right? Now if she was 4 and at the older kids' storytime, it would be fine to expect those things. Sounds like the librarian was not very experienced or knowledgeable about child development. And sounds like your OLD librarian was awesome. Sorry you had a bad experience today. Was the librarian you had the other time better? Maybe find out who's normally going to be doing it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. She wasn't worse, but I wouldn't say she was better either...She did at least talk to me when I was there and ask about the kids

    ReplyDelete

Thanks SO much for dropping a line!